Monday, July 27, 2009

I am inspired

O.K., before I begin posting about my new quilt top, let me clarify something from my last post. Some people commented or told me in person that my "low key" birth day dinner was a low key party, not a low key dinner. I wanted to invit friends and family and have a birth day party, instead, it was just us. My low key dinner will be like... instant Mac & Cheese, Chef Boyardee, and grilled cheese sandwiches, if I have some energy to cook. Oh yeah, "Kids! Get in the car let's geab someting from Del Taco!" is in the lazy day menu too. I love to cook but sometimes I would rather sew then cook or clean too. Here, my dirty secrets are out... I hope you will still read my blog.:)



Several month ago, I came across this quilt book and I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!
The two ladies who wrote this book own a quilt shop called "Material Obsession" in Sydney Australia. The subtitle says "Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots" and I totally agree with that. Bold colors and unusual color combinations caught my eye but they use lots of traditional patterns. Also, many quilts in the book are hand quilted with BIG stitches.

I have been making quilts for s long time, but my style is soft color combinations with tiny peices and when I hand quilt for shows, I will do very tiny tiny stitches. Being a busy mom and making a quilts like that takes a long time from start to finish!

I am totally inspired by this book. I am not sure about copy right law, so I will not open the pages to share this wonderful book with you all. I just want to say, because of this book I dared myself to make this quilt. (This particular quilt is not in the book, it is my own pattern. The book inpsired the bold colors and big stitches.)




I made this with bolder colors and bigger stiches than I nomaly do. I love the results! As soon as I cut the last thread off the quilt, the kids started wrapping themselves in it. The quilts I made for shows are usually tucked away or on the wall, but this one I made for my family. Its purpose is to be used, cuddled, and loved. I hope those bright colors will be a part of my kids' childhood memories.

I promised to myself that I would not gasp or screech when they are rough with the quilt...

I have some left over blocks; I think I am going to make a pillow or two. I can't wait to take the quilt on a picnic!

8 comments :

  1. Your quilt is stunning! I love it! I also am inspired by the Material Obsession book and also have Material Obsession 2! I just have to say again...your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt and your hand quilting. I especially like the wavey edge. Might have to get that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love it too! I've made a variation of that pattern for a fall wallhanging and love it. I really should try a larger quilt...I won't be disappointed I'm sure. your colors are wonderful...enjoy all the love and laughter shared around that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt and the colors you chose! It's beautiful and I'm sure your family will love being wrapped up in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Sachiko! I always find it satisfying to see my kids love a quilt I've made. Even if a cringe a little when they wipe their nose on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt looks stunning! I love the bold happy colors! I'm sure it'll remain in your children's memories for years and years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your quilt! I will have to check out that book:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that book and love that quilt! amazing as always! and good job on going out of your comfort zone with more loud colors.
    maybe your loud friend will have to come over and see it in person one of these days! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin